A question of guest appearances (trivia)

Since this bit of news, first discussed in the January releases post, was on the front page of the Times of India a few days ago, I think it's safe to say the content of this post does not constitute a spoiler. Yet, you have been warned. :)

Actors Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan play cameos in director Zoya Akhtar's debut film Luck By Chance (official website here) releasing this Friday, January 30 (the film also stars (haaye Allah) Juhi Chawla!). It is said that Aamir and Shah Rukh play themselves and do not share screen space. To the right is Aamir's look (source: the link above; thank you Pitu for sharing it).

Question: The two actors have indeed appeared together in a film. In addition to sharing screen space, they had dialogue exchange! Which film was it? (Hint: Read the title to this post.)

Answer: See comments. A warm digital round of applause for Pitu and Shweta! All comments updated 10:15 PM PST.

PS: I'm watching The Story of India on PBS as I write this (it's not the most factually correct, but it does have some remarkable High-definition footage from all over India), and they just played a couple of minutes from Mangal Pandey (2005)!!!

Mangal Ho.

12 comments:

pitu said...

Oooooooooo I think I know the answer! But 'pehle' tell me what is the bakshish for getting it right? Coffee hampers? ;-)

Answer is 'Pehla Nasha'! where Tijori boy was 'hero' (snigger)

Taaliyaan!

Oo and thanks for linking to my blog! :-D

Ranya said...

Does "Swades" count? ;-)

~Ranya

Bhargav Saikia said...

This one's tough, really tough! I thought Aamir Khan has never done a cameo before Luck By Chance? Waiting for the answer to your question!

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Heeh- the terrible Pehla Nasha- but there was 1 more Khan w/ them there- Saif Ali!

theBollywoodFan said...

Pitu and Shweta: You've got it, Pehla Nasha (1993) directed by (*drum roll) Ashutosh Gowariker it is! The prize is a loud digital round of applause! (Sorry, no coffee hampers, LOL.) Oh, and yes, Saif was in the mix too.

Ranya: Great try! Shah Rukh and Aamir did share screen space in Swades, but there wasn't an exchange of dialogue. You still got half of it right!

Bhargav: He's done very few, and none since Damini, also in 1993. This should be real fun.

Darshit said...

Oh...okay.
This was getting on nerves. I was thinking of this since morning. Thanks for such great trivia.
I was again surprised while reading about Swades. I was figuring out where did they shared screen space?? Then in a second got it. Great observation :-)

Ranya said...

lol.. I actually didn't know the answer to this one at all. I knew you didn't mean "Swades", because, duh!, no dialogue exchange, plus a veryyyyy young Aamir probably didn't count.. but hey, don't I atleast get some participation points? 8-D

@Darshit, thanks :-D

pitu said...

Dude I was watching The Story Of India on PBS too! Not yesterday but last week. Did you see the Somras bit where that firang guy is in Pakistan and they're giving him 'somras' to drink?? It was hilarious because according to most modern Ayurveda texts, nobody knows which genus it is from. The most recent guesses allude to Ephedra and Firang dude was not drinking that :-D I had a good laugh, it reminded me of Bunty aur Babli where they 'sell' the Taj Mahal :D
Oh, and I saw the Mangal clip ;-)

theBollywoodFan said...

Darshit: I wonder why none in the media mention it with the Luck By Chance news. And wasn't that little tribute in Swades cool? I love everything about that movie!

Ranya: Duh is true! ;) Actually, I would've counted it if little Aamir had said something and SRK had responded to it!

Pitu: I didn't catch that bit. From the ones I saw, it was good but it certainly could have been better researched. The easiest one is that China has a bigger population than India, which a five year old in most of the world probably knows! These guys got *that* the other way.

Still, liked the effort. It's always great to catch up on the sights and sounds of humara Bharat. 'Once upon a time outside India', I've seen National Geographic documentaries on the Himalayas multiple times for the purpose, so this was a treat, LOL.

ajnabi said...

I had no idea! Yay for adding to my ever-growing brain space taken up by Bolly-trivia.

Bhargav Saikia said...

Yeah, I was just thinking about the Swades bit. Good one there!

theBollywoodFan said...

Ajnabi: Now you know! There's always so much Bollywood trivia to consume, I like your take on how it plays a role in increasing brain space!!!

Bhargav: Truly, a neat tribute. I have a couple of screenshots of it in the Swades review I'd mentioned earlier.