1. Yuvvraaj, a Subhash Ghai film, makes its way to theaters on the 21st, and I think Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif will be brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised if we find they have the best on-screen dynamic of all current Bollywood couples. Salman fans, do you think he'll get the woman?
Here's what we know the plot has (per its soundtrack and the official film website yuvvraaj.com):
- Three brothers (Salman, Anil Kapoor, and Zayed Khan) involved in a feud for inheritance money;
- One woman (Katrina Kaif), trying to bring them together;
- Each of them involved in music (of different genres) in some capacity (most, if not all, professionally), hence the tag line 'Music binds love';
- A soundtrack that is easily one of the very best of the year (might well be the best in terms of appeal to the widest audience -- by most definitions, leading to a masala musical, if you may). Here are all posts on the film, including the intro post and lyrics and my translations to some songs.
If they get it right, which I think they will, Yuvvraaj might just be the biggest hit of the year. Its art direction and cinematography will excel, Anil Kapoor's wardrobe will be suited to his character (check out those socks!)...
...and Katrina Kaif will, of course, continue to look mighty beautiful, classy, and stunning.
2. Maharathi (based on a Gujarati drama of the same name), out on the 28th, is a mystery Starring Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri, Paresh Rawal, Boman Irani, Neha Dhupia, and Tara Sharma. Its trailer was rolled out with Kidnap, and it is my sleeper pick for the month (as Heroes was last month). Take a look at this!
3. Ek Vivah Aisa Bhi releases November 7, and stars Sonu Sood and Isha Koppikar. If you liked Vivaah (I did), this one will be very well worth checking out, although it is *not* a sequel to the Shahid Kapoor-Amrita Rao starrer. A Rajshri product that will be a (likely welcome) return to the norm. The soundtrack is consistent and has some good lyrical depth (although the music is slightly monotonous). Sonu and Isha get lead roles, and given the plot, there's little reason for why they won't deliver. And I have a palindrome for this picture: WOW.
4. I would not have included Dostana (starring Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham, and Priyanka Chopra), except that Karan Johar decided to film it in lovely Miami, where I went to college and lived for a few years. As if that weren't enough, its first trailer showcases Downtown Miami and my former office building several times :)
This post has pictures of John on South Beach, this has Abhishek at a scene filmed at a hospital, and Aishwarya Rai trying to emulate Kareena Kapoor! ;) Sadly, based on what I learned from some trustworthy sources, there seemed to have been a real attitude problem with Karan Johar and his crew, and the folks didn't win over many fans in Miami.
The plot to Dostana doesn't do much at all for me -- two guys pretending to be in a relationship (*yawn*), and jokes like those dumb 'Kantaben' ones (they got old real fast, didn't they?) from one of them Karan Johar films or the Filmfare Awards ceremony of 2008 -- but I shall see it on DVD for: 1) people I know who are in it, and 2) Miami (I'd written this on the city when moving in May), which is an excellent, vibrant setting for cinematographers to work wonders with. Please don't let this fool you though...
...South Beach has a *lot* better to offer than Priyanka Chopra ;) Here's the film's official website.
Any you're looking forward to in particular?
Nov 7, 2008
Ek Vivaah Aisa Bhi
Nov 14, 2008
Chal Chala Chal
Nov 21, 2008
Nov 28, 2008
Kaashh... Mere Hote
Khallballi - Fun Unlimited
Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!
Raat Gayi Baat Gayi
Schedule source: IndiaFM