August 2008 releases

August 15 releases do not include a patriotic movie for a change, unless the character of god in God Tussi Great Ho wishes otherwise. Ghajini's release date is official, Thanksgiving weekend it is!

Below is a listing of releases this month. Five films I think will be worth checking out, which should make for an exciting month. Here they are, in order of my preference (hoping to review the soundtracks to #s 1, 2, and 4 soon).



1. God Tussi Great Ho, starring Salman Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, and Priyanka Chopra. Its plot promises entertainment, and its cast is more than well equipped to deliver. If there was one (and only one) film I would see in theaters this month, this would be it. Here is the film's official website.

2. Singh is Kinng (at least spell it correctly), starring Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif, Neha Dhupia, Javed Jaffrey, and a host of others including Om Puri and Sonu Sood. Don't doubt Akshay-Katrina will be good together, but I'm not sure I like Katrina's look in this. It's set in Australia and Punjab, although posters on the film's official website remind me more of Hong Kong, which might be a problem (or maybe it's just my love for Downtown HKG).


3. Ramchand Pakistani -- a Pakistani film (based on a true story) releasing in India this month -- starring the fantastic Nandita Das, Rashid Farooqui, Syed Fazal Hussain, Noman Ijaz, Maria Wasti, and others. I've heard nothing but excellent things about this film (including from a very good Pakistani friend whose judgment I trust). There's more information at the film's official website, including an endorsement of sorts by none other than Mira Nair.


4. Bachna Ae Haseeno (official website), starring Ranbir Kapoor, Deepika Padukone, Minissha Lamba, and Bipasha Basu. This one promises to be a 'pretty' movie -- its trailers are sleek and the art direction looks good. It is the wild card for the month. One movie maketh a star not. Ranbir and Deepika, here's your chance to prove some of us wrong.

5. Rock On!!, starring Farhan Akhtar, Arjun Rampal, Prachi Desai, Luke Kenny and others. Here is my music review. Should be interesting.


Aug 1: Ugly Aur Pagli

Aug 8: Good Luck, Singh Is Kinng

Aug 15: God Tussi Great Ho, Bachna Ae Haseeno

Aug 22: C Kkompany, Chamku, Maan Gaye Mughall-E-Azam, Mumbai Meri Jaan, Phoonk, Ramchand Pakistani

Aug 29: Hijack, Rock On!


Source: IndiaFM

4 comments:

Deepa Dev said...

this post is almost like you read my mind... I was wondering about the August releases and one place to look it all up! Thanks for the post!! it pays to read your blog everyday.... keep it goin!!

theBollywoodFan said...

Hi Deepa: Thanks for stopping by, and you're very welcome. There are some good releases this month. None that I think will win a Filmfare (maybe that's not a fair benchmark for movies to begin with!), but am expecting fun entertainment. Thanks also for the kind words. :)

Cheers!

Nida said...

Thanks for helping me organize my thoughts :)
So many movies coming out, so many recommendations on my list to watch, I just can't keep up!
Of the new films, though, I'm most looking forward to God Tussi Great Ho(wasn't interested at first but this is growing on me), Bachna Ae Haseeno, and now, thanks to your post, Ramchand Pakistani!

Thanks, Bollywood Fan!

theBollywoodFan said...

Hi Nida: Thank you for stopping by! You're right -- there are so many coming up this month, it's tough to keep up.

I've had a very similar experience with God Tussi Great Ho...if it's playing at a theater near me, I'm there!

Cheers!