Pritam plagiarized in Race, Bhool Bhulaiyaa

I take back whatever good I said about the soundtracks to Race (2008) and Bhool Bhulaiyaa (2007). Saw this video news clip, and I am disappointed and frustrated.

Disappointed because the very two songs I had noted as good in my review of Race -- Pehli Nazar and Zara Zara -- were plagiarized. The title song in Bhool Bhulaiyaa was too.

Frustrated because based on precedence, we seem to have a remarkable tolerance for instances such as these in Bollywood. Given that it is Pritam Chakrobarty, I am certainly not shocked. I dread the day we find songs in soundtracks to Jab We Met (2007) and Life in a Metro (2007), two of my favorite Pritam albums, to contain products from elsewhere as well.

Two songs in Chocolate (2005), my other Pritam favorite, were plagiarized. The irony is that the song Zehreeli Raatein was originally sung by none other than Atif Aslam, then part of Pakistani rock group Jal. Atif, of course, sang Pehli Nazar in Race to Pritam's plagiarized tune. Go figure. And I just discovered that my favorite song from the film, Bheega Bheega Sa, was adapted from an Abrar-ul-Haq (singer from across the border) song with the same title. Although for the latter, I'll give credit to Pritam for not lifting the music of the entire song and just that of the primary lines =)

We should have known to expect this after Chocolate and after a popular Pritam tune in Gangster (2006) was discovered to have been 'inspired'.

Anu Malik, move over. You have officially been dethroned.


Addendum 5/2/2008:

From this piece:

And no matter what some people say 'Yeh Ishq Haye' is an original composition. I'd say if today I'm doing original work it's because Kareena inspires me."

Yeah, right! Notice the word 'if' in 'if I am doing...'. LOL.

2 comments:

richa said...

I'm sorry to break it to ya, but Baatein kuch ankaheen si
is taken from some korean song....you can see for yourselfhere
And I really thought he COULD compose listenin to Life..and Jab we met...but guess we havnt just found the originals yet!
The only good side i see in this, is that I've disovered alot of foreign music..I luved the original 'Tak Bisakah' of kya mujhe pyaar hai..

I wish he could be brought to justice. :(

theBollywoodFan said...

Hi Richa: Thank you for visiting and for your comment. Seriously, someone needs to stop Pritam! Perhaps I am so disappointed with him in particular is because I truly loved some of his songs. There he goes again with 'Baatein Kuch Ankahi Si', another one of my favorite tunes.

Now I am waiting to the music from Jannat being scrutinized...they're too good to be his.