Dostana crew insults Miami Bollywood fans

The cast and crew of the film Dostana were shooting a song by the bay on Watson Island yesterday. This was announced on radio and at least on one local TV channel. So a few die-hard Bollywood fans decided to visit the set and see the filming of the song, much like they would have done in Bombay, to catch their stars in action. Or so they hoped. Some were so excited they left work early and drove from an hour and a half away. Only to be extremely disappointed and somewhat belittled.

Sad, but true. Karan Johar's team did not allow anyone within about 250 yards of the shoot, that too from the angle noted below. Tsk tsk...so this is how the NRI Bollywood fans in a place like Miami (which has very few Indian people compared to Atlanta, New York, Houston, or Los Angeles) are treated by Mr. Johar's men (and women)? Now...here's a wish for them filmy actors and crewmen to show some respect toward those who make their films tick. There is no harm in saying a kind word or two, is there?

In all fairness to them, though, neither John Abraham nor Abhishek Bachchan or Shilpa Shetty were on the sets yet. They were all running on Indian Standard Time. The time announced was 6:30 PM, and the guys and gals I spoke to hung out there -- in the middle of nowhere -- for three hours before leaving.

As one fan of Hindi films rightfully put it:

"If it were Shah Rukh or Hrithik or Aamir, I would have waited until 2 AM. But for Abhishek and John? No way...especially not after the film crew have treated us like crap."

Oh, and speaking of this set...given that several extras (mostly white and Hispanic women) were spotted on the sets, and given that the song was by the bay, being shot at night, with white tents around, I am willing to predict that it was the semi item-number with Shilpa Shetty that was going to be filmed. A carnival-like atmosphere...interesting.

On the pictures: The set. Not too elaborate, but heavily reliant on the backdrop of the beautiful Miami skyline (below). The white tent-like structures you see in the backdrop are actually a part of the Port of Miami. The ones in the foreground are part of the set.

14 comments:

Saichand said...

does anyone know where i can see this shooting this week or any of the forthcoming weekends??

Saichand said...

where can i see the shooting?
any this weekend?

theBollywoodFan said...

Sorry Saichand, I am not aware of the locations and times for the filming. I wrote to the Miami Herald staff write Doug Hanks who covered it initially, but he has consistently ignored my requests for information. Given that, and that some of my friends felt insulted when they tried to visit a shoot, I'm not sure I would want to bother with it.

In any case, should you have any information, or if you do end up going and have pictures to share, do drop me a line!

Anonymous said...

I just saw the actors: Abishek Bachan, Aishwariya Rai, John Abraham, and Priyanka Chopra shooting for the movie, Dostana this weekend at Bel Harbor. They were shooting for the movie by Yuca Restaraunt late afternoon.

I totally agree with some of the comments left by others. The production crew and the assistant were very obnoxious and rude. The body guards were even worse. We were not allowed to take any pictures or get any autographs while the shooting was taking place. You were only allowed to get autographs or pictures after the shooting that is if you were LUCKY. If you even pulled out your camera a crew member would approach you and say, "Please no pictures!" . A body guard even came up to the crowd and said if you take any pictures I will take your camera away from you. I mean HOW RUDE!
How often do you get to see these actors once in a lifetime.

I was waiting there with my nieces and nephews for about 2 hours in the heat. Not 1 autograph, not 1 picture with the actors. Although, I was able to take 4 pictures while the actors wer shooting which are not clear. We were able to exchanges hi, hellos or waves with the actors thats about it. I only saw Aishwariya Rai sign an autograph for two little girls and take a picture with her husband with some older lady. Aishwariya Rai was not even shooting she was only their to support her husband.

As the actors were done with their shoots and heading towards their car they totally ignored us. Priyanka Chopra left first and then later John Abraham and Aishwariya Rai and Abishek Bachan left in 2 seperate Black SUVS.

Overall,i have some mixed emotions about the event. I was happy in a way that i did get to see the actors walk right passed by me and shoot a couple a feet away from me. Though I was dissapointed that I couldn't get one picture or autographs with the actors If not for me atleast for my little niece and nephews sake. It would just make their day.

I mean all these actors have their fame because of the fans bringing a smile to their face wouldn't hurt.

theBollywoodFan said...

Anonymous: Thank you very much for your eye-witness report. I am sorry but not at all surprised to know, given the cast and their backgrounds.

There might be a valid excuse for imposing certain restrictions during and after the filming, but there can be no excuse for disrespect toward others. Undoubtedly, their attitude tells us something of who they are. Not heartbreaking at all for me, for none of these are my favorite actors. And all I hope you take comfort in knowing that these are not among the biggest film stars in India today (Aishwarya, maybe, but the rest are widely acknowledged as the second and third tier of actors).

I have attended very few film shootings ever, even when I was in Bombay. But I remember going to one with Neetu Singh (Rishi Kapoor's wife), and Ms. Singh was absolutely the opposite of what you describe. I was a little kid back then, and that meant something to me. Think I am a fan of the Kapoor clan? You bet.

To me, this is what separates the Kapoors from the Bachchans. The former are just more classy, I think, and we see that reflected in their acting, in their press conferences, and in their speech. Yes, this is strictly based on my experiences and interactions with them, but you get the point.

What makes all this worse is that there are only a handful of us in South Florida.

Saichand said...

ok...i still havent seen them around...

can anyone help me out..?
I know they are rude..but I still would like to check them out...
Do u know where they r staying etc..?

theBollywoodFan said...

Sorry, Saichand. I do not have that information.

Vibha said...

i had similar experience. they were shooting in viscaya gardens and actually got really close to abhishekh who was jsut sitting around. my 4 year old wanted to talk to him and we were removed and insulted by his security.

theBollywoodFan said...

Hi Vibha: Thank you for stopping by. Sorry to hear of your situation, although if you have read what the rest have had to say, it comes as no surprise. :'(

If this makes this any better...Abhishek really isn't in the top tier of actors anyway, so worry not =)

Be sure to tell your four year old that not all Bollywood actors will have you all go through the experience you underwent.

Cheers!

Nicki said...

I did a search for Dostana Miami locations and landed your page! LOL. I was searching because I'm going to Miami this summer and going to take lots of pics. Wanted to take pics of where Dostana was filmed and post them on Blogger.

Nicki said...

I'm reading all these comments and it's sad. I did have two friends who were able to get good pics of the stars and with them. However, it could be that they are not Desi. One is a Hispanic girl. The other one is a Trinadad guy.

theBollywoodFan said...

It's pretty sad, really. More so because there are relatively fewer among the desi crowd in Miami, so everyone who was out there was a huge film fan. They left really disappointed in Karan Johar and the crew, more than anyone else, I think.

Have fun in Miami! It's a lovely city, and really still my home away from home (like Mumbai). I had a blast there in college, and seldom felt the need to leave for Spring break! ;)

Gaurav Agarwal said...

its really very heart breaking.. as in miami has very less indian population.. so the treatment of teh stars are something they should be varring from place to place.. and they need to understand that they are becoz of there fans and not the other way around...

theBollywoodFan said...

Gaurav: Thanks for stopping by. Agreed on everything you've said. So is life, I guess. :( Do stop by again! Cheers.