Asha Bhosle week: A song a day

Really excited about getting together with a few close friends to go see Asha Bhosle in concert on Friday in Ft. Lauderdale. See this post for background on the event.

I am hardly an expert on Asha Bhosle's older songs i.e. those released prior to 1990, which is when I started gaining an appreciable understanding of Bollywood. Prior to 1990 -- I was less than 10 years old then -- all I remember knowing of were the following films and some of the actors starring in them: Mughal-e-Aazam, Amar Akbar Anthony, Muqaddar Ka Sikandar, Mr. India, Haathi Mere Saathi, Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, and Maine Pyar Kiya. Needless to say, most of these remain among my all-time favorites. Some surpassed that, like Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and Maine Pyar Kiya, which are still cult films of sorts even for those of us in second or third grade at the time the film released!

Back to Asha Bhosle (excuse the tangent there). I have my top-five list of Asha Bhosle songs, and I shall be sharing one video a day for the next five days leading up to the concert.

To start with, by far the Asha track I love most: Raadha Kaise Na Jaley from the movie Lagaan (2001). With excellent music by A.R. Rahman, lyrics by Javed Akhtar, and the other singer in the duet Udit Narayan, the placement and choreography of this song gave it the life it deserved. Gracy Singh is absolutely fabulous in her dance routine, and does the song the kind of justice few others could. Aamir Khan, of course, is excellent as always.

No comments: