Marvelous and moving...but funny and sexy?

Cleaning my room this sunny [Sunday] morning, and I came across a postcard from some Indian event before Thanksgiving, advertising the DVD release on 11/27/2007 of The Namesake (2007). The title to the postcard (citing criticism from Entertainment Weekly) reads: "marvelous, moving...funny and sexy".

I would only agree with two of the four adjectives used. Moving? sure. Marvelous? I can see how. These two I agree with. Sexy? Well, just Tabu, so that could have been more specific. But I did not find the movie to be funny at all. I even thought some of the depictions of the evolution of Indian culture in America were unfair, and maybe that had a lot to do with the lack of comedic appeal for me. But this is not a complaint I would make to film-makers (although I am not really a big fan of Mira Nair), for they are going by a book (The Namesake by Jhampa Lahiri).

Suffice it to say that The Namesake was one of the good films made last year that could have used a little more oomph, but might not have been able to so without compromising the text that backed it. Tabu and Irrfan Khan make this one tick with excellent performances!

No comments: