On music to enjoy reading to

So I am an avid reader and I rather enjoy just sitting out in my balcony, by a golf course or under a tree while reading. Books, magazines, newspapers, trade journals. Whatever is well written and makes sense. But there is more to the reading experience than simply the books one reads. The music and the environment in which one reads makes a difference. To add to the experience, should we be the kind who prefer to read not on paper but by using a gadget, we now have to choose between Sony's Digital Book Reader and Amazon's Kindle. Both are fairly new (the latter integrates wireless technology) and would constitute a significant purchase, given their impact on a 'key process' (reading -- do I sound like a consultant yet?). In any case, I am a Sony loyalist, but Amazon's new product is extremely well presented, so I feel like it is going to be a difficult choice.

In any case, this brings me to a more important and Bollywood-relevant point -- what kind of music do you enjoy listening to while reading? I for one absolutely love classical and classic music. Classical of both the Western and Indian kind. Classic of the old-school Bollywood kind. Not sure why it works that way for me, but it is difficult to beat the meaningfulness that emanates from Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle classics.

Just created my book-reading playlist for tomorrow. Here is who/what it includes: Zakir Hussain, Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Mozart, Bach, Gulzar's instrumentals, and a ton of A.R. Rehman (including Lagaan, Earth, Fire, Water). Gee, am I looking forward to reading tomorrow or what!

No comments: