Vidya Balan scratches one off my wish list!

From one of my blog posts in July of this year:

...here is something atop my wish-list to Bollywood directors -- spend more time in Canada! There is too much diversity (of all sorts) and flair all across the country to ignore it.

Wouldn't you know it, it is none other than the lovely and vibrant Vidya Balan who helped me scratch one off my wish list! Well, not quite, but you get the idea (the true credit goes to Aziz Mirza who's shooting his film Lucky Charm there).

Yes, this has been my longest outdoor. Toronto is a beautiful place and it was my first trip there. We were at a very pretty location downtown. We were actually on Lake Ontario so it was beautiful.

Besides that I agree completely with Vidya on what she thinks about downtown Toronto, this interview just increases my respect of Ms. Balan, who is, I believe, in the top three actresses in Bollywood today. Why? Check out the class written all over the response below, to a question on the upcoming films, Bhool Bhulaiyya and Laaga Chunari Mein Daag. How many actresses do you think have the grace in speech as she does?

Rajeev Masand: Your film Bhool Bhulaiyya is releasing on the same day as Laaga Chunari Mein Daag. You were offered a role in Laaga … first but you could not do it for whatever reasons. So do you that find it ironic or poetic?


Vidya Balan: Poetic, yes. Like I have said before, I never imagined not being part of Dada’s (Pradeep Sarkar) film. I just got to know a week ago that it’s releasing on the same day. I was amazed. It’s great.


Rajeev Masand: You must feel tricky because you can’t want the other film to not do well.


Vidya Balan: I don’t want anyone’s film to not do well. I’m not trying to sound holier-than-thou but I know what goes into making a film and I think there are enough people to be watching all kinds of films.


8 comments:

Abhinav said...

who would the other two be in your top three?

theBollywoodFan said...

Abhinav: First of all, thank you for visiting, and thank you for your comment. I think the other top actresses in Bollywood today are Kajol and Tabu.

One would not normally hope to say this, but it is, believe it or not, rare today to find that combination of grace, professionalism, and the sheer ability to act.

Kajol, Tabu, and Vidya Balan, to me, excel at the profession of acting, while meeting (or perhaps beating) the pre-requisite that seems to be overwhelming Bollywood today: good looks and some more good looks.

If I were to pick a fourth, I would add Rani Mukherjee to the list. But there are hardly any more who are as versatile. Or maybe I just don't see it.

Would you agree/disagree?

Abhinav said...

More or less agree..
I would be tempted to add Konkona Sen in there but she is an ctor and not a heroine in the conventional sense..but i often wonder,had Vishal Bharadwaj made "Black" and it starred Naseeruddin Shah and Konkona would it have been recieved the same way?
I am quite sure these two would have surpassed Mr.Bachhan and Rani's overdone one expression act

Vidya is an amazing talent but her career seems to be stalling as a result of her choice of roles..she turned down Dor and Khoya khoya chand..and had to do Heyy Babyy insted of Laaga chunari mein daag..
but off-screen she remains unmatched for her grace and charm.
One hopes to see her in good films and not in more Heyyyy Babbyyyyyy's,hopefully the fans wish is fulfilled..
I am not very fond of Rani..for me she seems to excel at only those tear-jerking histrionic characters in the Yash Raj films..leave black aside and saathiya,chalte chalte,hum tum,baabul,kank,ta ra rum pum are all the same characters..Vidya who is seven films old has done a wider range of characters than her already.

theBollywoodFan said...

Well said. Ta Ra Rum Pum for me was just too loud, and Rani and Saif did only a fair job at that. I agreed with the spirit of the film, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

Point well made, then. Rani might just be the female equivalent of the pre-Chak De India Shah Rukh!?!

Agree about Konkona Sen -- her performance in Omkara was quite splendid. You know, speaking of the not so conventional heroines...how about Shabana Azmi? Yes, there is a strong niche there, but just like her male counterparts Naseeruddin Shah or Nana Patekar, she is up there when it comes to the all-time best in the art.

Abhinav said...

About Rani off-screen we cant judge but on koffee with karan she was clearly playing up a sweet and innocent image trying to be witty and all and failing miserably at that...when asked lage raho or rang de basanti she said kabhi alvida na kehna..now its ok standing by your work but rang de basanti and lage raho transcend all such definitions..and it was quite evident that she wasnt too happy about these two films winning all the awards..coz thats all she works for..

shabana azmi one of the all time greats for sure

Abhinav said...

konkon asen not just in omkara but in Mr and Mrs Iyer,Page 3,15 park avenue and life in a metro was quite brilliant

Anonymous said...

Vidya Balan is just a cut above the rest. One, she is beautiful and lovely sans make up too (dont think any other actress would come anywhere near her sans those inches of greasepaint). Shes someone like Madhubala, the eternal natural beauty. Secondly, when she speaks, she comes across as someone who isnt just beautiful, but also has got lotsa in the heads department. Talk of beauty with brains, and you get Vidya Balan. Hope she retains her earthly charms, she is someone who could be your friend, with whom you could talk a thousand things and still be finding topics which she wouldnt be able to match. And shes a big welcome relief from todays in your face sexuality and exposure by most actresses

theBollywoodFan said...

Agreed on both counts.

1. Ms. Balan is for real, undoubtedly.

2. We were fortunate to get Rang De Basanti and Lage Raho Munnabhai in the same year. Rani seems to be like Karan Johar and Farah Khan, so caught up in their own bubble they fail to see what's outside. I'm surprised that KANK won the few awards it did with the two others contesting. I thought either was better in almost every category you could imagine...

As for some of the other Konkona Sen movies...I really need to watch Page 3 and Mr. and Mrs. Iyer. Will do so soon enough.

Thank you!