Thoughts on music to Bhool Bhulaiyaa

Talked about Bhool Bhulaiyaa's counterpart soundtrack a couple of days ago -- that to Laaga Chunari Mein Daag. Glad to have discussed both now, just three days before their release.
Bhool Bhulaiyaa the title song has a very good beat to it. Some of its rendition reminded me of the beats common on the soundtrack of Bluffmaster (2005). Hare Ram Hare Ram, Hare Krishna Hare Ram. Beautiful. And well sung by Neeraj Sridhar. My only criticism of the song is that it could have been better and would have been equally effective were it not for the English lyrics (they annoy me -- English lyrics for their sake alone do not make much sense). Do you agree/disagree?


Labon Ko is one of the best tracks of the album. It makes for great listening. The lyrics to this one are very well thought out -- two thumbs up to Sameer the lyricist and K.K. the singer! Mere Dholna is a semi-classical piece and well rendered by Shreya Ghosal. Based on my experience with Ms. Ghosal's songs, this genre has to be best suited to her vocal strengths. Beautiful, and tied for the best song of the album with Labon Ko. Sakhiya sung by Tulsi Kumar is another good track, and is an exception in the album because it is one of the 1990s-music-type songs that I actually like.

On to my least favorite tracks of the album: Let's Rock Now Soniye and Allah Hafiz are the most cliche and mainstream tracks in the album, too much like the standard 1990s music. I could swear that the beginning to Sajda is adapted from the beginning to a popular Arabic song I first listed to four years ago, but I do not recall the name to that song nor the artist, so I don't have much of a case, do I? Plagiarism might be a better word than adaptation, but the resemblance lasts for about 30 seconds, so I'll give Pritam -- who was accused of copying the soundtrack to Metro to a certain extent, I might add -- the benefit of the doubt this once.

Overall, the soundtrack to Bhool Bhulaiyaa is above average. I would not rate it as very good because it does have its share of not-so-good songs, which makes it difficult for me to play the album through from start to finish without skipping a single track. However...relatively speaking, I do think it has its share of good songs, enough to keep someone coming back to the album, albeit for those same songs. Three stars to this one.

However, do not make the mistake of comparing this album to Pritam's earlier soundtracks like Chocolate (2005). This is not even close. But worth checking out nevertheless, and I believe more so than its counterpart, the soundtrack to Laaga Chunari Mein Daag.

Album Rating: *** (ABOVE AVERAGE)

No comments: