Jhoom Barabar Jhoom: What a Dud :(

Great soundtrack. Disappointing film. That is Jhoom Barabar Jhoom in a nutshell.

A few weeks ago I discussed my tendency to sometimes pick movies I watch based on the quality of the soundtracks. I also mentioned that some soundtracks are so good that you really cannot wait to put faces and plots to them, because of which you go watch the movie. But when you watch the movies, you can end up being so disappointed that you wish you hadn't seen them to begin with. Why? Because then you tend to distance yourself from the soundtrack, which when treated independently might still be excellent nevertheless.


One such good example of this that I have experienced in recent times was Umraao Jaan. The soundtrack was well above average, and I was really looking forward to the film. Well, after having seen the complete lack of chemistry between Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai, I have listened to the soundtrack perhaps twice in six months. It hurts to recall the movie, which you cannot help but do once you have seen it.

Along comes another such example. Jhoom Barabar Jhoom. For once, the mainstream reviewers are correct. There is not much at all to offer in this movie, not even good performances to make up somewhat for the disappointing (to say the least) plot. Abhishek Bachchan is decent at best. Lara Dutta provides nothing more than eye candy. Bobby Deol overacts. Preity Zinta looks like she's the only one who tries to keep things held together without much effect. Amitabh Bachchan showing up every once in a while for the same song would have worked a lot better in a movie with something to offer. Sadly, in this case, for such a great actor, this ended up being miserable. But full points for at least trying something different.

Of course, the biggest issue with the film was its plot. You cannot be everything to everyone. Case in point -- little fifteen minute pieces in the film are so condensed and poorly executed that they could easily have been their own movie. To me, the story did not have an identity. The writer seemed confused. What was the point? Oh well. I shall end my criticism here.

Suffice it to say that this was, to me, easily the biggest waste of a soundtrack this year. It could have done so much more!

Rating: 1/2 (among the worst)

My Classification: PG-13 for plot and sexual content

Watch it if: you have nothing better to do.

Do not watch it if: you are a fan of any of the members of the cast. You might not be after this one is done.

Website: www.yashrajfilms.com/microsites/jbj/microflash.html
Note on the website -- it is very very well made.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Thank you!! I am with you on this. I didn't like it like others did.

theBollywoodFan said...

I know, I know. This was such a MAJOR dud, I'll stick to the rating. I kept fast-forwarding through it because there's only so much portraying of a tremendous sense of self-worth I can take! :)