Raqeeb - Sunidhi Chauhan does it again

Those who know me know that I am a huge huge HUGE (like one of those Sachin Tendulkar sixes in the 2003 World Cup) Sunidhi Chauhan fan.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see her song featured as the title song for the movie Raqeeb. And what a song. Starring Tanushree Dutta, who did a fantastic job in the song, the song packages oomph and sex appeal to give the movie a great start. Sadly, it goes downhill from there.


From an IT fan's perspective, I was pleased with the movie, with numerous references to IT and even some technical terms. As a software aficianado, I could definitely relate to those.

But besides the title song (which is also played during the movie end credits, this time sung by K.K.), the movie - a murder mystery - did not have much else to offer, and could have been a lot better executed. Overall, performances by Sharman Joshi and Rahul Khanna are good. Tanushree Dutta is decent, but certainly not even close to being another Bipasha Basu, so fellow fans, let's not start making those comparisons yet!

Rating: 1/5

Classification: NC-17 for language and plot

2 comments:

bollywoodfoodclub said...

Correct assessment of the film! I'd quickly pushed aside the Sunidhi Chauhan aspect of this movie, as I was too busy watching the dancers. Now recall how I did indeed like her singing, of course!Tanushree is lovely to look at, but what I think Bipasha has over her other than years of expereince (their sex appeal being equal) is a voice that's got a very unique sound; unique as Sunidhi's too come to think of it. I actually liked Coporate, so clearly I'm a Bips fan. I liked her most in Omkara though. OK and here's critical eye working; these women are absolutely gorgeous in both face and figure, but I have noticed a small distracting flaw in each:
1. Tanushree has a hairline that's not supurb, so when compared to the rest of her perfection it stands out, as evidenced in those wet, in the water scenes.
2. Bipasha's eyebrows have been over tweezed (maybe out of jealousy by some eunuch makeup artist?) It was hard to find anything to critique, not that anyone is asking, but you know the ego can take over at times, LOL. So Bipasha, grow those out a bit please. :)

All the best!
Sita-ji

theBollywoodFan said...

Agreed, Sita-ji! Tanushree and Sunidhi also gave me one of my favorite songs of 2005, 'Bheega Bheega Sa' from Chocolate (here's the video -- the song ended up being yet another unoriginal Pritam song, but I still like it). That hairline does stand out in the wet/water scenes.

As for Bipasha...I was a much bigger fan until I was disappointed with her after the 'New 7 Wonders' event last year, in which she was one of the emcees. I remember being amazed that she could not stand straight and speak without fillers. One would think she would have gotten (or asked for) some training before representing her country at that stage! And while she was at it, the least she could have done was tend to the eyebrows! =)

Still, I liked her in Corporate, Raaz, Rakht, Aetbaar, Phir Hera Pheri, Omkara. Even in Dhoom 2 to some extent. And I am hoping for big things from 'Bachna Ae Haseenon'.